Tarrant County College
Job Opportunity – Interpreter Wanted
Title – On Call – Interpreter
Posting Number – 101020
Location – Northwest
Posting Category – Instructional Support
Department – NW Counseling
Position Type – On-Call
Salary – $15.51 Hourly
Job Summary – Interprets and/or translates between spoken and signed
language to facilitate communication in various situations.
Minimum Requirements – Completion of an interpreting for the deaf program or
equivalent. Manual communication skills for receiving and sending messages.
Ability to accept supervision and to relate to faculty, administrators, and
students. Knowledge of basic college courses and the desire to gain
experience in specialized college courses.
Preferred Qualifications – Desire Texas Commission for the Deaf Interpreter
Certificate Level I or National Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf IC, TC
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
* Provides consecutive or simultaneous translation between languages.
* Knowledge of American Sign Language, Manual Signed English, Sign-to-Voice
interpreting and transliterating, the manual alphabet, and the Code of
Ethics established by the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf or the Texas
Commission for the Deaf.
* Interpret academic classes, lectures, student activity events and other
special events as needed/requested.
* Consult with faculty/staff regarding the role of the educational
interpreter in the classroom.
* Listens to complete statements in one language, translates to second, and
translates responses from second into first language in consecutive
* Expresses either approximate or exact translation, depending on nature of
* Renders oral translation of material at time it is being spoken.
* May receive briefing on subject discussed prior to interpreting session.
* Attends the workplace regularly, reports to work punctually and follows a
work schedule to keep up with the demands of the worksite.
* Thinks, reasons, and makes sound judgments to decide how duties and
responsibilities are completed in compliance with college standards and
* Uses interpersonal skills and makes sound judgments to decide how duties
and responsibilities are completed between himself/herself and coworkers,
the supervisory chain, faculty, staff, students and customers.
Posting Date – 11-11-2011
Closing Date – 11-25-2011
Special Instructions to Applicants – Contact Dr. Charles R. Edmondson at
817-515-7788 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you require additional