D/HH Advocacy Awareness Night – North Austin/Cedar Park/Round Rock
Deaf/Hard of Hearing Advocacy Awareness Night
North Austin/Cedar Park/Round Rock
Listen up! Here are questions for you all.
1) Has your request for an accommodation (i.e., interpreter) to ensure
effective communication been denied by your family doctor or local hospital?
2) For a municipal court, have interpreters or other accommodation routinely
been denied? What about jail?
3) Do you have any family members, friends or co-workers who recently
experienced hearing loss? If so, do they need resources on assistive
4) Do you ever need assistance on educating your employer (boss) about your
disability or communication needs? (For an example, there was no
interpreter or other accommodation for a staff meeting or training)
If you answered “Yes” to at least one of the above questions, come to our
training to find out and to have fun learning. Don’t forget to invite your
family members, friends, or co-workers who needed the resources. The
training would empower you to learn how to effectively self-advocate as a
deaf/hard of hearing individual. The training is scheduled and located at:
Monday, January 30, 2012
6:30 pm to 8:00 pm
Spicewood Springs Branch Library
8637 Spicewood Springs Road,
Austin, TX 78759
Bus Route: 383
(library is four blocks away from the route station)
Light Refreshments will be provided.
Brian Determan, an ASL-native deaf individual, serves as the
Deafness Resource Specialist 7A, through Communication Axess Ability Group,
for a program funded by Texas DARS (Department of Assistive and
Rehabilitative Services) – Office for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services. He
works with various agencies and service providers regarding their access
obligations under the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Rehabilitation
Act. His training will empower deaf or hard of hearing individuals with
knowledge of their civil rights and how to self-advocate.
Accommodations for participants such as real time captioning (C.A.R.T.)
or sign to voice interpreter services must be requested by Wednesday,
January 25, 2012 by 5:00pm. Email to: [email protected] or call the
office at VP/Direct 512-410-1786.
- ADA Roundtable Event - Austin
- D/HH Advocacy & Assistive Technology Awareness Night – Bryan / College Station
- Does Demanding An Interpreter Work? - Austin
- Public Hearings STAP - McAllen, Houston, Austin, Dallas
- UPDATED: 47th Biennial TAD Conference 2013
- Lawsuit filed after deaf Brownsville man detained at checkpoint
- Is Communication Access in a Workplace or other Setting Challenging for you? 9/30/14 – Austin
- The Silent Treatment
- FCC cracks down on religious broadcasters
- DAC Job Opening - Deafness Resource Specialist - Dallas