Tuesday, January 8, 2013
UPDATE: DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION EXTENDED TO JANUARY 15, 2013!
The NAD Seeks a Director of Communications
The National Association of the Deaf (NAD) seeks a Director of Communications to work at its Silver Spring office and oversee the organization’s communications as well as engage in marketing efforts. The Director will ensure that all communications are timely, compelling, effective, and representative of the organization’s mission, vision, and values.
The Director leads the development and implementation of the NAD communications and brand strategies in order to strengthen the organization’s engagement with its members, stakeholders, and the general public.
The Director is responsible for creating and coordinating written content, videos, graphic design & layout, look & feel, and brand management across all NAD communication channels including print (including the NADmag), eNewsletters, web, social media (Twitter, Facebook, Google+), and all public / media relations.
* Develop and implement an integrated communications and brand strategy to engage current and future members; Create compelling, persuasive, relevant, and accurate communications content that will increase engagement with the organization’s members and build community support for the NAD;
* Develop and execute a comprehensive and effective communications strategy in collaboration with the NAD CEO;
* Cultivate and maintain local, state, and national media contacts for disseminating press releases and leveraging public relations opportunities;
* Engage in direct communications with state associations and affiliates of the NAD, and coordinate political, legislative, and media efforts within local, regional, and national areas.
* Create awareness campaigns that utilize innovative social media tools to engage members of the community most effectively;
* Oversee the creative and editorial direction, development, production and execution of all public communications (website, NADmag, eNewsletters, social media, exhibit booths, marketing and advertising)
* Script, choreograph, produce, edit, caption, and disseminate videos and vlogs on a regular basis to maximize communications to NAD members and stakeholders, including ASL videos of content on the NAD website;
* Provide strategic oversight and support for membership and development materials, conferences and campaigns, and fundraising events and activities; and
* Promote media communications on important legal and political developments.
Qualifications & Skills
* Strong commitment to the NAD mission of promoting, protecting, and preserving the civil, human, and linguistic rights of deaf and hard of hearing people; Experience, at least four years preferred, in a communications role (general writing, online writing, or marketing-related writing experience a plus), and prior experience with digital communications
* Knowledge and expertise with social media;
* Experience with content management systems and contact relationship databases;
* Skilled at developing content including ability to translate policy issues into communications that resonate with a diverse range of stakeholders;
* Experience with fast-paced advocacy campaigns;
* Comprehensive strategic thinking and rapid problem-solving skills to effectively handle crisis communications;
* Fluent in ASL and in English, with an ability to write and edit quickly and clearly;
* Familiar with the deaf and hard of hearing community, its culture and heritage;
* Versed in video production and editing, captioning, and graphic design concepts;
* Ability to set and adhere to strict deadlines, and comfortable working in a fast-paced, ever-shifting environment;
* Excellent planning and organizational skills; and
* Exceptional attention to detail.
Salary will be commensurate with candidate’s experience. This position includes generous benefits.
The successful candidate will take the position at the Silver Spring, MD office of the NAD, with flexibility given for transition from out of state.
Deadline for submission has been extended to January 15, 2013, with a goal of hiring before the end of January 2013.
Please send your cover letter, resume, list of references, writing samples and any other relevant materials via email to: [email protected]
Feel free to share this e-mail with qualified individuals, and thank you for supporting all we do!
The National Association of the Deaf