Galveston/Brazoria County Hearing-Impaired Co-op
POSTING DATE: 02/12/2013
LOCATION: GBCHI Deaf Education
POSITION: COORDINATOR OF GBCHI SPECIAL EDUCATION
* Deaf education certification (preferred)
* Texas mid-management/principal or other appropriate Texas certification (preferred)
* Professional Development and Appraisal System (PDAS) appraiser certification
* Knowledge of special education laws to maintain district-wide compliance
* Knowledge of curriculum and instruction
* Ability to evaluate instructional programs and teacher effectiveness for deaf and hard of hearing students
* Ability to manage budget and personnel
* Ability to coordinate district function
* Ability to interpret policy, procedures, and data
* Strong communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills
* Ability to think critically and systematically problem solve
* Evaluate and provide leadership for the overall Special Education Curriculum and Instruction Department of G.B.C.H.I., including curriculum and staff development for the elementary level.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assist with implementing instruction and curriculum services for students’ with hearing impairments K-12.
2. Plan, implement, and evaluate deaf instructional programs (including learning objectives, instructional strategies, and assessment techniques) with teachers, staff, counselors, diagnosticians, and principals of the 3campuses.
3. Participate in and serve as administrator in deaf education ARD’s.
4. Involve instructional staff in evaluating and selecting instructional materials to meet student learning needs.
5. Supervise ESY deaf education summer program.
6. Provide consistent support to deaf education teachers at all levels.
7. Oversee Itinerant teachers.
8. Ensure that G.B.C.H.I. goals and objectives are developed using collaborative processes and problem-solving techniques when appropriate.
9. Work collaboratively with support staff and director of G.B.C.H.I. to carry out vision and goals of G.B.C.H.I.
10. Participate in the G.B.C.H.I. decision-making process to establish and review the district’s goals, objectives, and major classroom instructional programs.
11. Obtain and use evaluative information, including student achievement data, to examine curriculum and instruction program effectiveness in deaf education classrooms.
12. Provide effective staff development activities in the area of deaf education that incorporate the mission of the district, program evaluation outcomes, and input from teachers and others.
13. Implement the policies established by federal and state law, state board of education rule, and local board policy in curriculum and instruction area pertaining to deaf education.
14. Evaluate job performance of employees to ensure effectiveness.
15. Provide for two-way communication with principals, teachers, staff, parents, and community.
16. Articulate G.B.C.H.I.’s mission, instructional philosophy and curriculum implementation strategies to the 10 communities and solicit its support in realizing G.B.C.H.I.’s mission.
17. Demonstrate use of appropriate and effective techniques to encourage community and parent involvement.
18. Perform other tasks and assume other responsibilities as assigned.
19. Stay up-to-date professionally through the selection of quality staff development opportunities for personal growth.
20. Research district policy, precedent, and current practices prior to taking action.
21. Participate as an effective team member who contributes to district, department, and content goals.
22. Demonstrate integrity and ethics.
23. Display proficient levels of technology applications.
24. Utilize time wisely for effective management of job responsibilities.
25. Maintain punctuality in daily work times, appointments, and meetings.
26. Meet task completion deadlines established by supervisor.
27. Maintain friendly customer-service-driven interactions with all stakeholders, students, teachers, administrators, and co-workers.
28. Work cooperatively with co-workers and supervisors to ensure that the goals of the school/department are met.
29. Maintain a positive and professional tone in all communication (i.e. email, written, and verbal).
30. Manage and utilize data effectively for systemic process and program analysis.
* Account for the accuracy and verification of all student program data and reports.
* Implement data-driven decision making for improvement efforts based on best practices.
31. Manage and utilize policy effectively for maintaining systemic processes and practices.
* Account for the verification of the correct policy regarding all decisions and correspondence.
* Implement effective policy-driven decision making.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE: Three years as a special education teacher preferred
Please use link below: Click certified position types then click Other professional positions. You should see Coordinator of GBCHI Special Education (see link below)