UH ASLI Faculty Opening
The University of Houston is seeking to hire an Assistant professor (PhD) to join the American Sign Language Interpreting Program!
The ideal candidate will hold a PhD in an applicable field, and show strong potential for research. The candidate should possess or be able to obtain a rating of on the ASLPI of 4 or higher or the SLPI of Advanced Plus or higher. The candidate should hold one of the following certifications: RID certification (CI/CT, CSC, NIC Master or CDI), BEI certification (Level 4 or Master), and/or NAD certification (Level IV or V). In addition, training and experience in interpreter education and knowledge of and experience with the Deaf community are preferred. Responsibilities will include: teaching in the ASLI curriculum, engaging in scholarly research activities in area of expertise, supervising and advising students, participating in department and university service, and additional activities that support of the program's efforts toward full certification.
This full-time, tenure track position will begin in Fall 2014.
For details about applying, see full posting at http://www.uh.edu/provost/fac/faculty-openings/comd14/index.php
TIME: January 2014
ASL Tutor & Lab Supervisor (Part-time)
Job Starts: Spring 2014 (January 2014)
Hours vary from 5-19 hours a week.
Fall & Spring semesters ONLY.
Salary $15-20.00/hr (NO BENEFITS)
Reports to ASL Interpreting Program Coordinator
The chosen candidate will have 2 or more years of work experience as a tutor, instructor, or in another professional career. He or she must also possess the following:
• Native or near-native use of ASL;
• 15 hours of college coursework
• Knowledge of tutoring/teaching techniques;
• Ability to maintain an established work schedule;
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of work-related information and materials;
• Professional demeanor, attire and behavior for a university environment;
• Ability to communicate effectively with others (able to use tact, patience and diplomacy);
• Ability to pay attention to detail and follow through on assignments;
• Ability to understand and follow instructions precisely;
• Ability to provide quality tutorial services and provide feedback regarding student performance;
• Ability to maintain positive working environment with UH students & staff and faculty;
• Knowledge of Windows/MS Office software and Apple/Mac software.
Note: An official transcript must be submitted upon hire.
Submit resume and other documents to the ASLI Faculty at [email protected] for review.
CONTACT PERSON NAME: Sharon Hill
CONTACT EMAIL ADDRESS: [email protected]