Interpreter Wanted – Brazos Valley Center for Independent Living
The Brazos Valley Center for Independent Living is dedicated to promoting the full inclusion and participation of individuals with disabilities in all aspects of community life through a combination of advocacy, peer support, independent living skills training and information and referral – all of which are consumer-controlled and community-based. Our employees enjoy a diverse work environment, opportunities for development and a real opportunity to make a difference!
Sign Language Interpreter, BRYAN, TX – (Open until Filled)
FT or PT – Negotiable
Salary- Based on Qualifications
In collaboration with the executive director, the sign language interpreter will contribute to increasing communication access to BVCIL staff and our local community. Key responsibilities
• Providing accurate Sign-to-Voice and Voice-to-Sign interpretation for BVCIL staff and contracted community partners;
• Assisting in developing and maintaining a current calendar of activities related to the Deaf community (ASL classes, Peer Support groups, etc.); and,
• Providing community education and advocacy related to communication access.
Successful candidates will possess:
• Fluency in American Sign Language (Note: we will consider non-certified applicants with fluency and ability to obtain certification in an agreed upon timeframe);
• excellent interpersonal skills;
• Willingness to promote the Independent Living Philosophy;
• Willingness to be involved in local and state advocacy efforts;
• Willingness to travel;
• Computer skills including Microsoft Word and Excel preferred;
• Strong understanding of Deaf culture;
• Good working knowledge of interpreter code of ethics;
• Excellent organizational and time management skills; and
• Ability to exercise good judgment and work independently.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should view the full job description in http://www.bvcil.org and send a completed BVCIL
Application and cover letter outlining how they meet the specific requirements of the position to [email protected]
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted. Please note the selected candidate will be required to submit to a thorough criminal background check and a skills test.