Deaf Action Center is accepting resumes for the position of Deafness Resource
Location: Tyler, Texas
The purpose of the Deafness Resource Specialist is to facilitate access to services of federal, state and local governments, and organizations and private entities for persons who are deaf or hard of hearing. The program works with state and local governments, organizations and private entities to make their services accessible and readily available to persons who are deaf or hard of hearing by removing attitudinal and communication access barriers. The program assists consumers by sharing information about services available and by providing training, information and referral as necessary and ensures that they get needed services.
The Deafness RS program works with persons who are deaf, hard of hearing and late-deafened in the areas of advocacy, self-empowerment and sensitivity training, as well as empowering consumers regarding Federal and State mandates on equal access to services, including education and employment.
Qualified Deafness Resource Specialist shall have as a minimum:
* ability to communicate effectively in a conversational mode utilizing various forms of manual communication including ASL and PSE;
* have knowledge of and ability to address the unique communication needs and issues of persons who are hard of hearing, late-deafened or deaf;
* have knowledge about basic audiological concepts and how loss of hearing affects access to language and basic information as related to age of onset, severity, and type of loss;
* have a knowledge base of state, local and federal services available, including eligibility requirements for each;
* have a knowledge base of the ADA, ADA Amendment Act, Fair Housing Act and Sections 501 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act;
* have knowledge or experience in interviewing techniques to determine service or independent living needs of individuals;
* have an AAS degree or better in a human services area or related field and one year of experience in the field of deafness or hearing loss, or a high school diploma/GED and 4 years of proven experience in the field of deafness or hearing loss;
* have public speaking ability and experience.
Please email resume to [email protected]