Teaching Position Open
DATE: Until filled
ADDRESS: 9200 Inwood, Dallas, Texas
Lovers Lane Academy for the Deaf (LLAD) (location: 9200 Inwood Rd, Dallas) has an open teacher position in the elementary department. LLAD is seeking a person with high energy, patience, enthusiasm and vision to work and participate in the process of program expansion. The job posting is open and applications are currently being accepted. The job posting will close when a qualified applicant is hired. All qualified potential candidates will be contacted to schedule an interview.
REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS
– Cover letter
– Professional resume
– Three (3) signed letters of recent recommendation
– Photocopies of official transcripts
KNOWLEDGE and ABILITIES
LLAD seeks an enthusiastic, energetic and creative individual with fluency in American Sign Language. The successful candidate will have:
1. Must be able to communicate in American Sign Language and English
2. Demonstrated knowledge and experience in teaching children with varying types of challenges and abilities
3. Skilled in developing lesson plans and documentation specific to the student’s needs, parent’s goals, and the school’s requirements
4. Able to develop and use a variety of teaching strategies to meet student needs
5. Highly motivated to see each student succeed
6. Cooperative and able to work with a team of coworkers
7. Flexible when changes occur
8. Able to take direction and instruction from supervisor
9. Ability to communicate effectively with parents and staff.
Provide students who are deaf/hard of hearing with a language-rich environment designed to build an individual intact language system. Create activities for developing skills as established through parent and school meetings. Provide students with appropriate learning activities and experiences designed to fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and social growth. Develop or modify curriculum and prepare lessons and other instructional materials according to ability levels. Work in self-contained, team, school capacity as assigned.
• Must have a BA/BS in Deaf Education or a related field
• An earned degree in an education or related field.
• Knowledge of Deaf culture and extensive personal and professional experiences within the Deaf community.
• Able to exhibit depth of theoretical knowledge and EC-6 application of ASL/English bilingual philosophy and other evidence based practices in Deaf Education.
• Able to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of L1 and L2 learners.
• Demonstrated teaching skills.
• Knowledge of language development skills
• Appropriate sign language skills for instructional purposes required to achieve the goals of the assigned position
• Knowledge of special needs of students in assigned area
• Ability to communicate with deaf and/or hard of hearing individuals
• General knowledge of curriculum and instruction
• Ability to swim/supervise students in pool and physical activities/exercises
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
• Collaborate with students, parents, and other members of staff
• Implement an instructional or skill development program for assigned students and show written evidence of preparation as required
• Plan and use appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, and equipment that reflect understanding of the learning styles and needs of students assigned
• Employ a variety of instructional techniques and media to meet the needs and capabilities of each student assigned
• Conduct ongoing assessments of student achievement through formal and informal
• Create a classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development students
• Manage student behavior and administer discipline, including intervening in crises
• Keep informed of and comply with regulations and policies
• Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other required documents in timely manner
• Perform all other related duties as assigned in a timely manner
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
• Maintain emotional control under stress.
• Frequent standing, stooping, bending, pulling and pushing.
• Move small stacks of textbooks, media equipment, desks and other classroom equipment.
• Must be able to swim/supervise students in pool and other physical activities/exercises
• Work with a wide variety of skills and needs
• Able to adjust quickly to changes and new demands
Please email all applications and questions to:
LLAD provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, childbirth, physical disability, mental disability, age, military status or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, marital status, gender, medical condition (including, but not limited to, cancer related or HIV/AIDS related), genetic information in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. In addition, SEEDS/LLAD complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which SEEDS/LLAD has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
CONTACT PERSON NAME: Kristen Jackson Dacres
CONTACT EMAIL ADDRESS: [email protected]
CONTACT TELEPHONE #: 2147069598
CONTACT FAX NUMBER: 2146920803