Job Opportunity: Interpreter at Tarrant County College
Job Title Interpreter
Posting Number B000855
Position Status Full Time
Category Instructional Support
Class Code 51
Position Type Budgeted
Pay Rate $16.06
Department SE Disability Support Serv
Facilitates communication between hearing and deaf or hard of hearing individuals in classrooms and meetings using American Sign Language or the mode of communication preferred by the student.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Provides sign-language interpreter services
• Creates interpreter schedules to cover all students classes requiring their services including part-time staff and contractors
• Interprets/transliterates information using American Sign Language or the mode of communication preferred by the student
• Assists with scheduling interpreters
• Receives request for accommodations and documentation, determines services needed, and coordinates services for Deaf/Hard of Hearing and Blind/Low Vision students
• Ensures appropriate intake, advising, retention, and follow-up services for Deaf/Hard of hearing Interviews, hires, and evaluates interpreters and note takers
• Ensures policies/procedures in place are compliant with Section 504 and ADA
• Acts as a liaison between students, faculty, staff, and community resources
• Coordinates Disability Support Services sponsored workshops and materials
• Presents workshops on various topics regarding disabilities and the function of the DSS office
• Attends the workplace regularly, reports to work punctually and follows a work schedule to keep up with the demands of the worksite
• Completes all required training and professional development sessions sponsored through the Tarrant County College (TCC) Institute
• Supports the values of the College: diversity, teaching excellence, student success, innovation and creativity and service to the College
Required Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensures
• Associate’s degree or 60 college hours from a regionally accredited college or university
• Two (2) years of experience
• Experience with computerized systems
• Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software
• Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
• State Board for Evaluation of Interpreters (BEI) or National Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) Certification
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Posting Date 03/21/2014
Open Until Filled Yes
Posting Contact Summary
Should you have questions specific to this position please contact the following individual
Contact Information Rochelle McCall
Contact Email or Phone [email protected]
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
Higher Ed Jobs
Latinos In Higher Ed
If other (*) or if there is more information to provide (i.e., personal referral name, job board or publication name) list below.
(Open Ended Question)
* Please select the highest level of education you have completed.
High School Diploma / GED
60 or more College Credit Hours
None of the above
* How many years of directly related experience, specific to this position, do you have?
Less than 1 of experience
1 year of experience
2 years of experience
3 years of experience
4 years of experience
5 or more years of experience
* Do you have a State Board for Evaluation of Interpreters (BEI) or National Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) Certification? Yes / No
If you have any additional questions, please submit them to: [email protected]
Tarrant County College District 1500 Houston Street Fort Worth, Texas 76102
Online Institutional Resumes (per Sec. 51A.002, Texas Education Code)