Teacher of the Deaf- Elementary & Middle
Date Available: Now (Updated 6/29/18)
Location: T.H. Rogers School
Job Category: Certified Teachers
Job Code: 30000302
Contract Type: Teacher Contract
Salary Minimum: $52,530
Salary Maximum: $74,360
POSITION TITLE: Teacher
SALARY GRADE: RT
CONTRACT LENGTH: Varies
JOB CODE: Varies
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Principal
JOB SUMMARY: Provides students with appropriate learning activities and experiences designed to fulfill
their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical and social growth.
1. Plan a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interests, and
abilities of the students.
2. Create a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity
and interests of the students.
3. Prepare lessons that reflect accommodations for individual differences.
4. Prepare for classes assigned and show written evidence of preparation upon request of
5. Encourage students to set and maintain standards of classroom behavior.
6. Guide the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and, in harmony with the
goals, establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, projects, and the like to communicate these
objectives to the students.
7. Employ a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media consistent with the physical
limitations of the location provided, and the needs and capabilities of the individuals or student
8. Strive to implement, by instruction and action, the district’s philosophy of education and
instructional goals and objectives.
- Assess the accomplishments of the students on a regular basis and provide progress reports as
- Refer students for evaluation by district specialists as required.
- Take necessary and reasonable precautions to protect the students, equipment, materials, and
- Maintain accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy, and
- Assist the administration in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and
conduct. Develop a reasonable rules of classroom behavior. Maintain order in the classroom in a
fair and just manner.
- Make provisions for being available to the students and to the parents for education-related
purposes when required.
- Plan and supervise purposeful assignments for teacher aide(s) and volunteer(s) and,
cooperatively with department heads, evaluate their job performance.
- Maintain and improve professional competence.
- Participate in district staff development.
- Attend staff meetings and serve on staff committees.
- Maintain a professional relationship with colleagues.
- Establish and maintain open lines of communication with students, parents, and community
- Maintain open communication with parents.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. Texas Teacher
Certificate appropriate for level and/or subject area of assignment. Alternative certification approval
accepted for Health Science Technology. Current licensure, certification, or registration by a nationally
recognized accrediting agency as a health professions practitioner based on a program requiring at least
two years of formal education.
WORK EXPERIENCE: Two years of verifiable wage earning experience utilizing the licensure requirement.
TYPE OF SKILL AND/OR REQUIRED LICENSING/CERTIFICATION: Ability to communicate effectively in both
written and oral forms with all levels of management, both internal and external to the district. Ability to
establish and maintain effective working relationships both internal and external to the district. Ability to
adjust the eye to bring an object into focus; judge distance (close and distant); reach with arms extended
and use hands to manipulate the keyboard. Ability to lift and carry up to 10 pounds, stoop, kneel, crouch,
walk, twist, bend, climb, and/or be mobile. Ability to travel throughout the district and city. Valid Texas
driver’s license with appropriate insurance coverage.