The Office of Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services (ODHHS) is seeking deaf individuals to produce written materials in American Sign Language (ASL) to be recorded and published on the ODHHS website.
June 5, 2020
Call for ASL Talent
The Office of Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services (ODHHS) within the Texas Health and Human Services Commission is seeking deaf individuals to produce written materials in American Sign Language (ASL) to be recorded and published on the ODHHS website.
Three – four individuals will be selected to ASL one of the following topics:
• Introduction / Overview of ODHHS
• Resource Specialist Program
• Tuition Waiver Program
English scripts provided by ODHHS will closely align current text on ODHHS website. https://hhs.texas.gov/services/disability/deaf-hard-hearing
To be eligible for funding, the individual providing the services must meet the following requirements:
• Ability to sign written materials fluently in ASL
• Experienced in publicly presenting in ASL
• Experienced in producing documents in ASL gloss
• Currently resides in Texas
• Must be Deaf, DeafBlind, or Hard of Hearing
Awards will be made as submission are received.
I. Contact Information
• VP number
• Email address
• Statement of Interest
• List of previous projects producing ASL gloss documents, include subjects glossed
• List previous experience providing presentations in ASL, include target audience and subjects presented
• Create 30 to 60 second video clip produced in ASL from current text on ODHHS website or other government website, as an example
• ASL gloss fee for approximately 250 words, includes any revisions
• Hourly fee for ASL performance of ASL gloss
• Travel costs to Austin, Texas in compliance with GSA requirements.
Submission Scoring Criteria
Submissions will be rated according to the following criteria:
Experience and Performance Record (30 points)
• Submitter has appropriate training and experience to provide the services requested.
• Submitter has demonstrated the ability to provide the services requested.
• Submitter’s presentation style is appropriate for the services requested.
Cost of Services (30 points)
• Fees and costs proposed are reasonable for the services requested.
Video Demonstration (40 points)
• Submitter demonstrates the ability to engage an audience in a manner that is clear and understandable.
• Submitter demonstrates the ability to meet the needs of individuals with broad language styles.
• Submitter demonstrates the ability to convey accurate meaning of text in ASL.
• Submitter demonstrates the ability to pace the presentation appropriately.
If a submission is accepted, the following is required to be eligible for funding:
• ASL gloss document to be provided to ODHHS within 10 days prior to the film session.
• If upon request, provide updated changes to the ASL gloss document within three working days of request.
• Perform approved ASL gloss to be filmed in Austin, Texas during one day between estimated between July 6 – July 31, 2020.
• Submit an invoice within thirty calendar days from the last day of filming to be reimbursed for services that contains the following information:
o State of Texas Vendor identification number
? Complete and submit TIN form if not currently have number
o Invoice number
o Purchase order number (to be provided by ODHHS)
o Description of services; separate time spent on gloss and filming
o Invoice total
• Submissions will be selected based on criteria established in this solicitation.
• Submissions are not guaranteed acceptance or funding if accepted.
• All submissions shall become the property of the State of Texas upon receipt.
To be accepted, submissions must be sent by email to [email protected] by Friday, June 19, 2020.