Abilities Success, Inc. (ASI) is inviting resumes for the position of DRS (Deafness Resource Specialist) Assistant in East Texas DHHS Region IV and the location is in Tyler, Texas.
Summary: The purpose of the Assistant provides support to a Deafness Resource Specialist to facilitate access to services of federal, state and local governments, and organizations and private entities for consumers who are deaf, hard of hearing, or late-deafness. The program provides the services accessible and readily available to consumers by removing attitudinal and communication access barriers and also assists by sharing information about services available, providing training, information and referral as necessary, and ensures that they get needed services.
Abilities Success, Inc. (ASI) Project is funded by the Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services (DARS) for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services (DHHS).
* Answer telephones, direct calls, and take messages.
* Maintain and update filing, inventory, mailing, and database systems, either manually or using a computer.
* Communicate effectively with consumers, employers, DARS, DHHS and other individuals to answer questions, disseminate or explain information, take orders, and address complaints.
* Open, sort, and route incoming mail, answer correspondence, and prepare outgoing mail.
* Compile, copy, sort, and file records of office activities, and other activities.
* Compute, record, and proofread data and other information, such as records or reports.
* Type, format, proofread, and edit correspondence and other documents, using computers or typewriters.
* Complete work schedules, manage calendars, and arrange appointments.
* Review files, records, and other documents to obtain information to respond to requests.
* Deliver messages and run errands.
* Inventory and order materials, supplies, and services.
* Process and prepare documents, such as business or government forms and expense reports.
* Make travel arrangements for office personnel.
* Prepare meeting agendas, attend meetings, and record and transcribe minutes.
* Ability to communicate effectively in a conversational mode utilizing various forms of manual communication, including ASL (American Sign Language) as well as other prevalent sign systems including MSE, PSE, SEE.
* Knowledge of and ability to address the unique communication needs and issues of persons who are deaf, hard of hearing, late-deafness
* Knowledge of Deaf Culture and Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community preferred
* Good written and interpersonal communication skills
* Knowledge of Vocational Rehabilitation Services preferred
* Knowledge of MSOffice – MSWord, MSExcel, MS Powerpoint and MSAccess
* Typing 40 wpm
* High School Diploma or GED required, College Level preferred
* Location: Tyler, Texas
* Status: Regular, Part-Time (15-20 hours)
* Expected Start Date: Open until filled – ASAP
* Resumes will be accepted until September 11, 2015
* Please email resume to [email protected]