“The 86th Texas Legislature finds that children who are deaf or hard-of-hearing are often at risk for language delay or deprivation. The purpose of HB 548 is to generate and monitor data on the language acquisition of children eight years of age or younger who are deaf or hard of hearing.”
- House Bill 548
- TEA Guidance: HB 548 Language Acquisition for Deaf/HH Children Ages 0-8
- HB 548 List of Assessments
- TEA Website: Sensory Impairments Page
- HB 548 Webinar (Video)
- TSDS SELA New User Training (Part 1)
- Common Steps for Core Collection Training (Part 2)
Model Consent Form Letter
- Model Consent Form (PDF)
- Model Consent Form (Word)
- Model Consent Form (in Spanish)
- Model Consent Form (in Vietnamese)
NEW on the TEA Sensory Impairments Page:
- Nothing new has been posted since the January Engage newsletter was published.
As LEAs begin implementing HB 548, questions arise and new information becomes available. Please continue to ask questions, and please pay attention. This portion of the Engage newsletter will be updated monthly. (see link below)
- Submit your questions by completing this FAQ HB 548 Google Form.
- This FAQ document will be available soon.
- Contact Emily Robinson, D/HH Program Administrator & State Director of RDSPDs, or Susie Tiggs, State Lead for Deaf Education.
Information provided by ESC Region 11 Deaf/Hard of Hearing Services