Assistant, Lab – American Sign Language
Apply for this Position
Closing Date: 12/16/2011
Apply for this position by the closing date listed above.
Location – Rio Grande
Hours – Monday-Friday, 40 hours a week
Position Focus – Tutoring ASL Students
Salary – $2,046-$2,558/Monthly
FLSA Status – Non-Exempt
Criminal Background Check – Pre-employment criminal background checks are
required for all Staff and Faculty positions. Pre-employment urinalyses drug
screens are also required for all top candidates considered for positions in
ACC’s College Police department.
To tutor ASL and Interpreting students as well as assist faculty within the
Department of ASL and Interpreter Training.
Department Chair of ASL and Interpreter Training & Senior ASL Lab Assistant.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND TASKS
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties
may be assigned.
* Tutor ASL and Interpreting students.
* Maintains the lab by organizing, cleaning, and preparing materials,
supplies, equipment, and/or facility.
* Performs clerical duties including operating a computer, maintaining
records and files, and compiling data and reports as required.
* Maintains inventory, initiates purchase requisitions, and monitors
expenditures; may prepare cost estimates and/or submit justifications and
request for items.
* Operates, installs, and maintains equipment.
* May set up, configure and/or calibrate new equipment; may perform routine
maintenance and repair.
* May assist students, or monitor and assist students, faculty, and staff in
the use of equipment or facilities.
* Communicates and collaborates with faculty on tutoring services, class
projects and exams.
* Trains, mentors and supervises hourly lab tutors.
* Assists with review of lab services and developing ways in which they can
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with
or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the
job can be performed.
Knowledge of American Sign Language.
Knowledge of tutoring techniques and approaches.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or
without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job
can be performed.
* Fluent in American Sign Language.
* Effectively using organizational and planning skills.
* Effectively working with a diverse and multicultural student body.
* Maintaining confidentiality of work related information and materials.
* Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
* Understanding and following instructions precisely.
* Maintaining an established work schedule.
* Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills.
* Demonstrated proficiency using standard office software applications.
* Knowledge of Mac operating systems and software.
* Knowledge of iMovie, Adobe Connect and ScreenFlow.
* Experience in web design and website maintenance.
* May be subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, kneeling,
climbing, pushing,pulling, and manual dexterity.
* Work is routinely performed in an indoor setting.
One year work experience in related field.
Three years work experience as a tutor.
High school diploma and twelve college level credit hours in related field
or equivalent combination of education, training and experience
Degree or coursework in an ASL related field.
Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and
behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from
engaging in unsafe practices.
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time Faculty and Staffing Table employees who work in full-time and/or
part-time positions at the College are eligible for ACC medical benefits
effective the first of the month after their first 90 days of employment.
Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short and long term
disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher
Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program
(ORP-Faculty Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC
Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by Federal