Job Opportunity: Deafness Resource Specialist
Communication Axess Ability Group (CAAG) is inviting resumes for the position of Deafness Resource Specialist (DeafnessRS) located in our Midland, Texas office.
Summary: The purpose of the Deafness Resource Specialist is to facilitate access to services of federal, state and local governments, and organizations and private entities for persons who are deaf or hard of hearing. The program works with state and local governments, organizations and private entities to make their services accessible and readily available to persons who are deaf or hard of hearing by removing attitudinal and communication access barriers. The program assists consumers by sharing information about services available, providing training, information and referral as necessary, and ensures that they get needed services.
The Deafness RS program works with persons who are deaf, hard of hearing and late-deafened in the areas of advocacy, self-empowerment and sensitivity training, as well as empowering consumers regarding Federal and State mandates on equal access to services, including education and employment.
Qualified Deafness Resource Specialist shall have as a minimum:
* Ability to communicate effectively in a conversational mode utilizing various forms of manual communication, including American Sign Language (ASL) as well as other prevalent sign systems
* Knowledge of and ability to address the unique communication needs and issues of persons who are deaf, hard of hearing, late-deafened, or deaf
* Working knowledge of Deafness, Deaf Culture, and Deaf Community
* Knowledge about basic audiological concepts and how loss of hearing affects access to language and basic information as related to age of onset, severity, and type of loss
* Knowledge of state, local and federal services available, including eligibility requirements for each
* Knowledge base of the Americans with Disabilities Act, Fair Housing Act, and Section 501/504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
* Knowledge or experience in interviewing techniques to determine service or independent living needs of individuals
* Public speaking ability and experience
* Good written and interpersonal communication skills
* AAS degree or at least one year of experience in human services and deafness/hearing loss
* Bachelor’s Degree
* Knowledge of Vocational Rehabilitation Services
Location: Midland, Texas
Status: Regular, Full-Time (40 hours)
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience, with an excellent benefits package.
Expected Start Date: TBD; Open until filled
Resumes will be accepted until Friday, April 10, 2015.
Please email resume to [email protected]