Deafness Resource Specialist – Hired
The Deafness Resource Specialist is responsible for ensuring that individuals with hearing loss, including those who are deaf, hard of hearing, late deafened and oral deaf, obtain the services and resources they need as they strive to improve their quality of life and function independently in the community. This position will focus primarily on individuals with that need specialized equipment to assist them in communication with others. The Deafness Resource Specialist reports to and is supervised by the Director of Programs.
1. Identify potentially eligible applicants and assist them in the application process.
2. Appropriately certify qualified applicants and check applications for accuracy, thus reducing errors on the applications.
3. Provide information about specialized telecommunications devices and services and provide hands-on training for individuals regarding those devices and services.
4. Assist Consumers in the selection of an appropriate assistance device to meet their individual needs.
5. Serve all disability groups
6. Understands and subscribes to the philosophy and values of independent living, culturally relevant education, Consumer empowerment, and community integration.
7. Works closely with the Resource Specialists and other Disability in Action staff to link Consumers to important services and resources provided by federal, state and local governments, academic institutions, as well as to other community-based organizations.
8. Convenes target population for educational and social opportunities.
9. Develops a peer network among stakeholders and the unserved/underserved Consumers within the target population to promote the awareness of available services
10. Ensures services and outcomes are of expected quality through follow-up contacts with Consumers and through Consumer Satisfaction Surveys.
11. Provides training, consultation and presentations to the target population and public and private service agencies to increase deaf awareness and the resources available.
12. Maintains full, accurate, and current documentation and submits reports in specified timeframes.
13. Increases knowledge base through trainings and other professional growth opportunities.
14. Complies with Disability in Action?s policies and procedures and utilizes resources efficiently.
15. Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
The previous statements reflect the general duties considered necessary to describe the principle functions of the job as identified and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
1. Understands the social, cultural, economic, and communication needs of individuals who are deaf
2. Knowledge of the ADA, ADA Amendment Act, Fair Housing Act and Sections 501 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.
3. Ability to communicate effectively in a conversational mode utilizing various forms of manual communication including ASL and PSE;
4. Have knowledge about basic audiological concepts and how loss of hearing affect access to language and basic information as related to age of onset, severity, and type of loss;
5. Public speaking ability and experience
6. Have knowledge or experience in interviewing techniques to determine service or independent living needs of individuals
7. Within 60 days of employment hold and maintain Red Cross CPR/AED Certification, for the purposes of gaining access into emergency shelters to provide outreach and support services.
8. Ability to network and promote good community relations.
9. Excellent organizational and time management skills
10. Ability to maintain a professional attitude, particularly in stressful situations
11. Attention to detail and discretion with confidential information
12. Knowledge of computers and software applications, particularly Microsoft Office
13. Ability to travel and work independently
Have an AAS degree or better in a human services area or related field and one year of experience in the field of deafness or hearing loss, or a high school diploma/GED and 4 years of proven experience in the field of deafness or hearing loss.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions that you might have. The contact person for this particular job is [email protected]
Disability in Action
317 N. Willis
Abilene, TX 79603