Spring is a time of unpredictable weather across our region. Please feel free to share the following information to anyone who might be interested. A number of links are provided with information in accessible format as well as in ASL.
* Some cell phone carriers push important information to your location. Check with your provider to see if this service is available.
* Emergency Alerts: http://www.ready.gov/alerts
* Red Cross Mobile Apps: the Red Cross Mobile Apps send information to your location in the text. This app also includes a weather radio as well as information of what you should do before, during and after a weather related event. They have a separate app for tornadoes and hurricanes. http://www.redcross.org/prepare/mobile-apps
* FEMA Smartphone Apps: http://www.fema.gov/smartphone-app
ASL Informational Videos: The following are a number of resources that provide information on preparing for disasters and things you should know.
* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk7NPQHi5hU Thunderstorms approaching
* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd2ylQpVf9w Information on tornadoes
* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjjQOLtL9tM Weather watches and warnings
* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu_orwdGgtM General preparedness-Make a plan, build a kit, stay informed
* https://sites.google.com/site/accessibleemergencyinfo/asl-videos Disaster topics
* http://www.knowhat2do.com/content/disaster-preparedness-espa%C3%B1ol-american-sign-language – Spanish version – disaster preparedness, site also has videos in ASL and Vietnamese
* Spanish-language website http://www.listo.gov.
* Follow the National Weather Service @nws
* FEMA @readygov on Twitter
* FEMA Region 6 – @femaregion6
* FEMA Region 6 Administrator – @femaregion6RA
Linda Landers, MPA
Regional Disability Integration Specialist
U. S. Department of Homeland Security
Federal Emergency Management Agency-Region 6
800 North Loop 288
Denton, TX 76209
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and Region 6 is firmly committed to providing equal access to its programs, services and materials. Please contact me if you would like to request an accommodation or to obtain information in alternative formats.
Region VI: Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, & Texas