Job Opportunity – Abilene
RESPONSIBLE TO: Executive Director for Salary, Hard of Hearing Specialist
for Supervision, Deafness Resource Specialist for Supervision
HOURS: Monday – Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm
REQUIREMENTS: College degree preferred; not required
Have knowledge and ability to address the unique communication needs and
issue of persons who are deaf and hard of hearing
Fluent in American Sign Language (ASL)
Must demonstrate knowledge of telecommunications devices for deaf and hard
of hearing consumers
Knowledge base of local, state and federal services available to those who
are deaf and hard of hearing
Strong written and public speaking skills
Strong interpersonal skills and initiative
Good computer skills
Sensitivity to and respect of people with any degree hearing loss
Must have reliable transportation
1. Meet clients one on one in the office for client intake and
2. Work closely with both the Hearing Loss Resource Specialist (HLRS) and
the Deafness Resource Specialist (DRS)
3. Requires ability to maintain client files and confidentiality.
4. Work closely with the Division of Rehabilitation Services (DRS)
to understand DRS eligibility criteria and make appropriate referrals.
5. Complete daily statistic reports, client forms and monthly reports in
a timely manner.
6. Ensure services and outcomes are of expected quality through
follow-up contacts with consumers and through consumerâ??s satisfaction
7. Assist and make initial contact via the telephone, fax, e-mail,
postal services, and/or personal office visit.
8. Other clerical duties such as faxing, email distribution, supply
9. Create and disseminate brochures, information packets, and
10. Perform special assignments, projects, and other duties as required.
11. Demonstrate a positive attitude, cooperation and support to co-workers
12. Reflect DAC image both in the office and when representing DAC outside
the office by showing respect for agency mission and a professional attitude
at all times.
13. Maintain compliance with all Deaf Action Center policies, procedures
DEADLINE TO APPLY: AUGUST 31, 2011
To apply, please submit a resume to Diana Mendoza or Eric Patterson at:
Deaf Action Center
500 Chestnut Ste 1812
Abilene, TX 79602
Deaf Action Center is an equal opportunity employer. We consider
applicants without regard to race, national origin, color, religion, gender,
disability, age, and marital or veteran status.
Resource Specialist projects are funded by Department of Assistive
and Rehabilitative Services (DARS) and Office for Deaf and Hard of Hearing