Employment Specialist/Interpreter position in Houston
TITLE: Employment Specialist / Interpreter
SUMMARY: Provides full employment service case management to deaf/hard of
hearing clients in assisting with job placement and retention. Provides for
the development of jobs for deaf and hard of hearing individuals in
conjunction with the Program Manager. Develops and maintains a network of
employers to hire deaf and hard of hearing individuals Conducts job search
workshops focused on application/resume completion, interviewing skills,
on-the-job communication and job retention. Assists with interpreting for
the deaf. Works cooperatively with other members of Deaf Services staff to
maximize client services.
PROGRAM: Deaf Services
SALARY: Grade III – Full Time
* High School or GED required, college or some college preferred. Fluent in
American Sign Language.
* Experience with deaf and hard of hearing clients. Areas of preferred
experience include job placement, social work, vocational rehabilitation,
interpreting, or teaching.
* Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as a highly cooperative
member of a team to develop and accomplish agency and departmental goals.
* Fluency in American Sign Language (ASL) with ability to interpret for both
deaf and hearing persons.
* Excellent knowledge of deafness and deaf culture.
* Knowledge of Houston Job market and future employment trends.
* Extremely professional presentation and ability interface easily with
* Ability to work with public and private employers and other social service
* Excellent writing skills.
* Ability to develop jobs in the private sector.
* Ability to use equipment that assists deaf and hard of hearing individuals
such as a videophones, loops, and to use services that serve the deaf such
as Video Relay Services.
* Operation and availability of a motor vehicle.
* Provide comprehensive case management services to ensure that clients are
properly prepared to engage in a successful job search.
* Develop and implement employment plan for each client and to that end, set
realistic goals, action steps, and time frames for their successful
* Provide for supportive services to enhance the clients’ ability to get a
job (haircuts, referral for interviewing outfits, bus tokens for
transportation to interviews, etc.).
* Conduct job search skills workshops in ASL.
* Solicit job orders and match clients to appropriate job openings.
* Perform follow-up to determine and document clients’ employment status.
Maintain contact with client and employer for 90 days to assist with and
document job maintenance.
* Work with DARS Counselors and send monthly reports on their clients’
* Negotiate job offers with employers.
* Provide interpreter services for clients at job interviews
* Other duties as assigned.
Supervisor: Manager, Deaf Services
Qualified applicants should complete an agency application, attach updated
resume with professional references and forward to Kathy Walters, Manager at