Convention for People with Hearing Loss Coming to Austin
Registration is closed but we will be happy to accept your registration on-site at the Renaissance Austin.
Please help us spread the news about this exciting and educational event – the Hearing Loss Association of America’s Convention 2014, June 26 – 29 at the Renaissance Austin located at 9721 Arboretum Drive in Austin. This is an opportunity for consumers with hearing loss as well as their family and the professionals who work with them to attend the largest communication-accessible educational program and trade show for people with hearing loss in the country. Every session has assistive technology (either hearing loop or infrared) and captioning.
Convention 2014 is the first annual event for Anna Gilmore Hall, who became the executive director in July 2013. In a pre-Convention statement, she said, “If you have hearing loss, or know someone who does, this is the event for you. This is a unique opportunity to see products and services and to learn how to live successfully with hearing loss.”
Highlights of the event include:
* Music composer Richard Einhorn to deliver the keynote address, A Life in Music After Hearing Loss at the Opening Session
* Technology Symposium, Emerging Technology for People with Hearing Loss moderated by the Consumer Electronics Association Foundation (CEA Foundation) with presentations by member companies: Aftershokz, Etymotic Research, Panasonic USA and LG Electronics
* Educational workshops on relevant topics such as hearing technology, relationships, communication, and employment issues; a special panel of veterans with hearing loss will take place on Saturday, June 28: Heroes with Hearing Loss – A Conversation with Veterans is sponsored by Hamilton CapTel
* Exhibit Hall full of the latest technology and services; complimentary Exhibit Hall passes are available for attendees and media
* Mobile Convention App sponsored by CTIA–The Wireless Association®
* Get Acquainted Party on opening night sponsored by CaptionCall
* Off-site event to the historic Scholz Bier Garten for BBQ and swing dancing sponsored by Sprint CapTel
* Fiesta Saturday evening banquet with entertainment: comedienne Gael Hannan followed by music by Austinite Kenny Luna; sponsored by Contacta
* Awards Breakfast and Ceremony honoring volunteers across the country; sponsored by CapTel Captioned Telephone
* Complimentary registration for veterans attending for the first time
* Southwest Airlines, official Convention airline with discounted fares and bonus Rapid Rewards Miles
Additional sponsors include Advanced Bionics, AT&T, Cochlear Americas, Delta Air Lines, hi Health Innovations, IBM, InnoCaption, IntriCon, Listen Technologies, MED-EL, Oticon, T-Mobile and Williams Sound.
Visit the Convention page of the website to find registration information, schedule-at-a-glance, workshop descriptions and more.
More information can be found at our website: http://www.hearingloss.org/content/convention
About Hearing Loss Association of America
The Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA), founded in 1979, opens the world of communication to people with hearing loss through information, education, support, and advocacy. In addition to the Convention, HLAA publishes Hearing Loss Magazine, produces the Walk4Hearing, and advocates for people with hearing loss. HLAA also has an extensive network of chapters and state organizations. The national headquarters is located at 7910 Woodmont Avenue, Suite 1200, Bethesda, MD 20814. Phone 301.657.2248 or visit http://www.hearingloss.org.
Please let me know if you have any questions. Representatives of media outlets are welcome to attend – please RSVP with your name so we may greet you and have a badge ready.
Thank you very much
Director of Events and Marketing
Hearing Loss Association of America
Email: [email protected]