The Texas Health and Human Services Commission is seeking applications for the Board for Evaluation of Interpreters Advisory Board. The board consists of seven members appointed by the HHS executive commissioner. Board members must be a Texas resident and meet at least one of the following categories:
- An applicant who is deaf, a frequent consumer of interpreting services and demonstrates knowledge of the field of interpreting and linguistics as well as has a unique understanding for the demographics and dynamics of Texas’ Deaf Community.
- An applicant who is deaf and holds a valid BEI Intermediary – Level III certificate, an Intermediary – Level V certificate or a BEI Certified Deaf Interpreter Certificate.
- An applicant who is hearing and holds a valid BEI Advanced or Master certificate or who has actively engaged in the profession of interpreting for at least three of the immediate past five years.
HHSC won’t consider an application received after March 1, 2018.
Every member appointed to the board must attend regularly and must participate in board activities.
- The term of service for this board is three years. Members who must leave the board before their term of service has expired should notify HHSC staff in writing 30 days prior to their exit.
- Regular board meetings are held about once every three to four months. The presiding officer may also call a special board meeting. Members must travel to Austin for these meetings.
- Board meetings may happen at other times. Members must travel to Austin for these meetings or participate by phone. Each meeting may last several hours.
Application (MS Word)
Application Letter (PDF)
If you have any questions about the board, please contact Lori Breslow at 512-407-3250 or by email at [email protected].