Basic Performance Test for Non-Certified Interpreters – intensive training opportunities this summer!
Are you a working interpreter who is yet to be certified, a recent graduate of an Interpreter Training Program, or a current ITP student who is preparing to take or re-take the Board for Evaluation of Interpreters (BEI) Basic Performance test? If your answer is “yes!”, read below for training opportunities to prepare you to take and pass your certification test.
Do you wish you could have real-time practice and modeling with interpreter mentors? Meet and work one-on-one with qualified trainers, and get access to intensive guided training and receive extensive feedback and analysis of your skills.
Included in the sessions will be an overview of certification testing, video examples, opportunities for hands-on practice, and discussions of how to utilize the necessary skills when sitting for an entry level test, such as the BEI. The sessions will also help participants differentiate between expressive interpreting and expressive transliterating, as well as receptive interpreting and sight translation.
Participants will also have the unique opportunity to practice and take a mock test, both at the beginning and at the end of your training week! Take advantage of this training opportunity by registering ASAP!
Why should I sign up?
- Learn test-taking strategies to lessen test anxiety, fears, and unknowns about certification tests;
- Take away strategies to better render a message, both expressively and receptively;
- Have a better understanding of the expectations of an entry level certification test;
- Be able to utilize hands-on practice and apply what you learn more effectively in your work!
Participant feedback from past trainings includes:
- “Throughout the week, I learned the expectations of the test, each part that will be required, and helpful strategies to present my skills effectively in each area.”
- “Before the course, I was feeling discouraged about my skills overall, but I became more confident through the week”
- “I was able to get helpful feedback about my expressive, receptive, and sight translation skills and it was so fun!”
- “I was very challenged, but also so deeply encouraged by the deliberate practice materials.”
- “I thought this institute was amazing and really allowed me to grow as a future interpreter.”
- “Seeing my progress I had made throughout the week helped build confidence.”
- “Everyone was encouraging, supportive, and helpful.”
Applicants have taken the Test of English Proficiency (TEP), regardless of pass/fail status.
Applicants do not have to have taken a Performance test. If you have taken Performance test, share your most recent results with the training coordinator.
July 10 – 15, 2022*
Sunday, July 10th, 4:00pm-7:00pm
Monday, July 11th – Friday, July 15th, 9:00am-4:00pm
Registration link: https://forms.office.com/r/J2GkAAQ8zs
July 31 – August 4, 2022
IN-PERSON TRAINING – HOUSTON, TX
Sunday, July 31st, 1:00pm-5:00pm
Monday, August 1st – Thursday, August 4th,9:00am-5:00pm
Registration link: https://2022UHASLI.eventbrite.com
August 7-12, 2022*
Sunday, August 7th, 4:00pm-7:00pm
Monday, August 8th – Friday, August 12th, 9:00am-4:00pm
Registration link: https://forms.office.com/r/s0GAKwWWsg
*Non-certified interpreters and interpreting students in Texas will be given priority to register.
*Subject to change or cancellation
Let us know if you have any questions!
Thank you for your interest in attending one of these exciting training events!
Office of Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services
Rehabilitative & Social Services
Health, Developmental & Independence Services
Email: [email protected]