Note: It may be too late to RSVP but this just for archival purpose. A lot of interesting history here.
Texas School for the Blind, Deaf and Orphan School for Colored Youth
Austin Public Health cordially invites you to a Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for a historical plaque commemorating the former Texas Blind, Deaf & Orphan School for Colored Youth
1887 — 1965
Saturday, February 18, 2017
Betty Dunkerley Campus
7201 Levander Loop
Austin, Texas 78702
RSVP by Wednesday, February 15, 2017 @ 512-972-5101
Historical Site of the Former
TEXAS BLIND, DEAF & ORPHAN SCHOOL
For African American Students
1887 – 1965
In 1887, the Deaf, Dumb, and Blind Institute for Colored Youth was established on a hundred-acre tract on Bull Creek Road between 38th and 45th Streets following sponsorship by William H. Holland, an African American Texan who was born a slave in 1841. Following courageous service in the Civil War, Mr. Holland served as an educator and in 1876 was elected State Representative and sponsored legislation to establish the Deaf, Dumb, and Blind Institute for Colored Youth, and the University now known as Prairie View A&M. In 1943, the Institute was re-named the Texas Blind, Deaf, and Orphan School.
In the early 1950s, Azie Taylor Morton attended the Texas Blind, Deaf, and Orphan School, graduating in 1952 at the age of 16. In 1956, Ms. Morton graduated cum laude from Austin’s Huston-Tillotson College and in 1977 was appointed by President Jimmy Carter as the first African American to serve as U.S. Treasurer. Ms. Morton passed away in 2003, leaving a rich African American legacy for the Texas Blind, Deaf, and Orphan School.
In 1961, the Texas Blind, Deaf, and Orphan School was moved to the current site at 7201 Levander Loop, following the Texas Legislature’s appropriation to fund the construction of eleven buildings accommodating 1,208 students.
In 1965, the Levander Loop facility began serving as the East Campus of the Texas School for the Deaf under the name Texas Blind and Deaf School. In 1965-1966, this east campus was desegregated following 78 years of academic and residential segregation by race.
In 1989, following major renovations to the School for the Deaf’s South Campus, the East Campus’ Texas Blind and Deaf School was consolidated into the main South Campus.
In 2002, the City of Austin purchased the former Texas Blind and Deaf School property from the State to develop a campus dedicated to the provision of public health services and animal services.
Commemorated in February 2017 by:
AUSTIN PUBLIC HEALTH
Shannon W. Jones III, Director
Download Invitation Ribbon Cutting Ceremony 021817 (PDF format)